Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Hummingbird - Another lesson in photography

Canon Rebel XT, 11o mm., f/5.6, 1/500 sec.

Little by little, I'm getting up the courage to leave the world of point-and-shoot photography. Commenting on my attempts to photograph backlit hummingbirds at our feeder from inside the house, Daniel suggested that I try 1+ exposure compensation. After figuring out which buttons to press (and realizing that a third hand would be very useful), I played with 1+ and 2+ . The best results in today's very bright Tucson sunshine were at 2+. (Thanks, Daniel!)

12 comments:

Ontario Wanderer said...

These are the shots that I have taken in my mind but never captured in the camera. Very well done! I look forward to seeing your skills go even further.

kerrdelune said...

Wonderful images - these are images I have never been able to capture, and I applaud yours enthusiastically.

travel plaza said...

Wonderful pictures. Looking forward to more:-)

Cynthia E. Bagley said...

I get a jolt every time I see your new pictures. Wonderful. :-)

robin andrea said...

It's so wonderful to watch you experiment. What great photographs!

Jimmy said...

These are wonderful...I like the first one the best...

harmonyinline said...

Wow! Fantastic! These are very impressive.

Endment said...

Wow and Wow again!!! ;-)

Mary said...

Wonderful photos I love to see these birds.

threecollie said...

I would call your photography experiments a wild success. Wonderful!

TDharma said...

great job, Pam! Yes, everytime you have a backlit subject, open that lens up and overexpose by one or two stops. Then your subject will come in well exposed!

I love these hummingbird pics - beautiful.

Kerri said...

I'm so glad I stopped by for a visit. These photos are absolutely wonderful. What a great job you've done capturing these amazing and lovely birds.
I have done the same thing with the exposure on my little Canon PowerShot, photographing other birds from inside the house during the winter. I'm learning, like you, to experiment :)
Our hummers will let me get very close sometimes. I posted some pictures of them back in May. My camera was only about a foot away.
I've enjoyed the rest of your blog too.