Monday, July 10, 2006

Bowen Island Garden Birds - Chickadee & Nuthatch

June 18, Bowen Island, BC - On our friends' feeder: two birds that were new to me.

Chestnut-backed Chickadees. They are common to the Pacific Coast and are year-round residents.

This shot is paler; it was taken through a window

Redbreasted Nuthatch. They are year-round residents across lower Canada. The range map shows them resident year-round in eastern Arizona and also in winter in western Arizona, but I've never seen one before. They were one of the most frequent visitors at this bird feeder, but didn't stay still long enough to be easily photographed.

5 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

Perfct photos - especially the last with the little feet all curled around the stick. They look a little like sparrrows - but somehow a little cuter.
I don't think I have ever seen pics of a chickadee.
Now I know why 'my little chickadee' is an endearment.

robin andrea said...

We have the chestnut-backed chickadees here all the time. They are so cute, and quite friendly. I often have the feeling that they wouldn't mind eating out of my hand.

I don't think I've ever seen the redbreasted nuthatch, but I would love to! I do wonder, though, if I may have seen one, and just thought it was a chickadee hanging upside down on the feeder.

Pam in Tucson said...

chiefbiscuit - I thought they were some kind of sparrow at first. They are this continent's smallest chickadee.

r.a. - I looked at the range map and saw that you would have the chickadees regularly. They are such a sweet little bird, although I notice they can be a bit feisty and territorial (as in the third photo). The range map shows that nuthatch in your area.

Thanks, jimmy! That's quite a compliment.

Lené Gary said...

I love chickadees. I've never seen the chestnut backed ones, though. And the upside down bird--reminds me of Stellaluna. :)

Pam in Tucson said...

lené - I love Stellaluna! Interesting comparison.