Monday, January 08, 2007

New Visitor - Black Phoebe

About a year ago, I saw a Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans) for the first time. I saw it just once. During the past week, a Black Phoebe has flown into our back yard several times. It usually stays for a few seconds near the swimming pool. Black Phoebes are primarily insectivorous, but they also eat berries and small fish (which they won't find in our pool).

Today, the phoebe remained long enough for me to grab my DSLR and get some photos as it flew around the patio. It was pretty hard to focus on, because it didn't stay still for very long. This flycatcher is a lovely little bird and I was delighted to see it again.






I like the shadow of the flying bird in this photo.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful bird and great photos.

Peacechick Mary said...

Little tail wagger, flycatcher. They are such spirited little birds. Good photo show here today. Thanks

Unknown said...

Wow! Gorgeous photos of a great bird!

Kerri said...

Just beautiful and such clear photos! We have phoebes here but it's very hard to catch them with the camera. You did so well with these.

robin andrea said...

I've never seen a phoebe, so these photos are particularly appreciated. They are quite spectacular, and your photos are truly fantastic. Well done, pam.

kerrdelune said...

Your birds are absolutely beautiful, and how I long for springtime and the return of the birds to the north.

LauraHinNJ said...

Looks just like ours, but so dark!

Pam in Tucson said...

all - Thanks for visiting. This little bird has the sweetest call. I don't know if it's male or female since the books say there's no differentiation between them. I was lucky that this one chose to stay long enough for me to focus.