Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Day 3's "homework"

Bedtime reading last night was the Magic Lantern Guide to the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. This afternoon I went out and shot photos, just playing with the Aperture Priority AE Mode (change the aperture and the camera changes the shutter speed). I also looked at shadows and light. Once again, about 90% miserable shots, but I learned a lot. Here are five of the more successful ones.

Light through leaves. Rhus Lancia is really hard to photograph. It's so beautiful, but it's difficult to isolate a branch to show off its feathery structure. And it catches every little breeze.



A feathery little plant. I like the light on it.



Shadows ...



Daughter of the Sabino Canyon Barrel Cactus in bloom ... About 35 years ago, a friend and I found a barrel cactus in the middle of Sabino Canyon Road. We think it must have fallen off a truck. We sacrificed a baby blanket to wrap it and haul it home in her station wagon. I planted it in my front yard. It flourished and grew and had beautiful blooms. About 5 years ago, it produced a child and then died. The child continues the tradition.



My next-door-neighbor's oleander.

No comments: