Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The new camera!!

I've been reading reviews for DSLRs for a couple of months. I finally narrowed down my choices to the Nikon D70, Nikon D50 and the Canon Rebel XT. Roland agreed. (My dream is the Canon 20D, which has received rave reviews all around, but that was out of my price range and probably overkill for my skill level.) I ruled out the Nikon D50. It got high marks for photos that come straight from the camera, but much lower marks for anything that's going to be post-processed. It also lacks a depth of field previewer.

With that decision made, Roland and I went off to try out the Rebel XT and the D70. I'd already tried Jay Rochlin's Rebel XT and knew I liked it. We played with both cameras and I realized right away that I was going to like the way the Canon handled. A major criticism of the Canon is that it's difficult for people with large hands. My hands are small and I love the way it feels. There's criticism of the lens that comes with the Canon kit, but I think it's going to be plenty good enough for me for quite a while.

Isn't it a beauty?



No comments: